(a) Except as provided by Subsection (k), a student shall be expelled from a school if the student, on school property or while attending a school-sponsored or school-related activity on or off of school property:
(1) Engages in conduct that contains the elements of the offense of unlawfully carrying weapons under Section 46.02, Penal Code, or elements of an offense relating to prohibited weapons under Section 46.05, Penal Code;
(2) Engages in conduct that contains the elements of the offense of:
(A) Aggravated assault under Section 22.02, Penal Code, sexual assault under Section 22.011, Penal Code, or aggravated sexual assault under Section 22.021, Penal Code;
(B) Arson under Section 28.02, Penal Code;
(C) Murder under Section 19.02, Penal Code, capital murder under Section 19.03, Penal Code, or criminal attempt, under Section 15.01, Penal Code, to commit murder or capital murder;
(D) Indecency with a child under Section 21.11, Penal Code;
(E) Aggravated kidnapping under Section 20.04, Penal Code;
(F) Aggravated robbery under Section 29.03, Penal Code;
(G) Manslaughter under Section 19.04, Penal Code;
(H) Criminally negligent homicide under Section 19.05, Penal Code; or
(I) Continuous sexual abuse of young child or children under Section 21.02, Penal Code; or
(3) Engages in conduct specified by Section 37.006(a)(2)(C) or (D), if the conduct is punishable as a felony.
(d) A student shall be expelled if the student engages in conduct that contains the elements of any offense listed in Subsection (a), and may be expelled if the student engages in conduct that contains the elements of any offense listed in Subsection (b)(2)(C), against any employee or volunteer in retaliation for or as a result of the person's employment or association with a school district, without regard to whether the conduct occurs on or off of school property or while attending a school-sponsored or school-related activity on or off of school property.
(e) In accordance with 20 U.S.C. Section 7151, a local educational agency, including a school district, home-rule school district, or open-enrollment charter school, shall expel a student who brings a firearm, as defined by 18 U.S.C. Section 921, to school. The student must be expelled from the student's regular campus for a period of at least one year, except that:
(1) The superintendent or other chief administrative officer of the school district or of the other local educational agency, as defined by 20 U.S.C. Section 7801, may modify the length of the expulsion in the case of an individual student;
(2) The district or other local educational agency shall provide educational services to an expelled student in a disciplinary alternative education program as provided by Section 37.008 if the student is younger than 10 years of age on the date of expulsion; and
(3) The district or other local educational agency may provide educational services to an expelled student who is 10 years of age or older in a disciplinary alternative education program as provided in Section 37.008.