A. Local Board Authority. Each local board of education has both the responsibility and authority to adopt policies designed to create safe schools. In the context of school discipline, by the beginning of school year 2014-2015, each local board shall review and revise its student discipline policies and regulations with the goal of maintaining an environment of order, safety, and discipline necessary for effective learning. The policies and regulations at minimum shall:
(1) Reflect a discipline philosophy based on the goals of fostering, teaching, and acknowledging positive behavior;
(2) Be designed to keep students connected to school so that they may graduate college and career ready;
(3) Describe the conduct that may lead to in-school and out-of-school suspension or expulsion;
(4) Allow for discretion in imposing discipline;
(5) Address the ways the educational and counseling needs of suspended students will be met; and
(6) Explain why and how long-term suspensions or expulsions are last-resort options.