This workshop is for individuals exposed to traumatic material and situations and mental health professionals working with them. Team taught by a mental health professional and a law enforcement officer, this course offers professionals who are exposed to traumatic material and stressful situations at work and who may interact often with offenders (e.g., law enforcement officers, forensic analysts, prosecutors, etc.), the opportunity to learn about the causes and symptoms of the negative effects that may occur as a result of their duties and effective ways to mitigate them.
Topics include the following:
- Physiological Effects and Symptoms of Chronic Exposure to Traumatic Material;
- Factors that Contribute to Additional Negative Impacts;
- Resiliency and Coping Skills;
- Workplace Strategies;
- Integrating Mental Health Professionals;
- Family, Friends and Spousal Support;
- Mental Health Professional and Law Enforcement Agents Working Together; and
- Self Care Techniques for the Mental Health Professional and Exposed Individual.