Attention: State and Local Education Agencies and Early Childhood Education Providers
As our nation contends with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on families, students, educators, and communities across the country, the U.S. Department of Education is hosting a webinar series to support educational settings in safely sustaining or returning to in-person instruction. The series features lessons learned and best practices from teachers, faculty, staff, schools, districts, institutions of higher education, early childhood education providers, other places of educational instruction, describing approaches to operating during the COVID-19 pandemic.
On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) hosted the second webinar of the series, Guidance for Early Childhood Education Programs and Providers.
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Time: 3:00-4:00 pm EST
This informative webinar featured a panel of practitioners who have worked to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the children and families they serve by implementing CDC guidance while providing early childhood education and childcare. Following a brief overview of the latest guidance from the CDC related to mitigation guidance in early childhood care, practitioners shared lessons learned and challenges overcome to sustain safe operations.
- Christian Rhodes: Chief of Staff, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education
- Angie Claussen, PhD: Research Psychologist, Child Development Studies Team at the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. She is currently deployed to the CDC COVID-19 emergency response as an expert on early childhood education.
- Christy Kavulic: Associate Division Director, Early Childhood and Parents Team, Office of Special Education Programs, U.S. Department of Education
- Dori Yorks: Director, Washington County Family Support Center (Maryland)
- Mindy Zapata: Director, Early Head Start and Head Start, Southwest Human Development (Arizona)
Primary Referenced Materials
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools (PDF)
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students' Needs (PDF)
- Lessons from the Field Webinar Series Welcome from Secretary Cardona
- Resources for Program/School Administrators
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Teachers, School Staff, and Childcare Workers
- COVID-19 Vaccine Toolkit for School Settings and Childcare Programs
- Guidance for K-12 School Administrators on the Use of Cloth Face Coverings in Schools
- Mask Wearing for Children and Staff
- Ventilation in Schools and Childcare Programs
- Resources for Parents, Guardians, and Caregivers