Attention: Education Agencies, Education Providers and Student Support Staff
The U.S. Department of Education is hosting a webinar series to support educational settings in safely sustaining or returning to in-person instruction. The series features lessons learned and best practices from teachers, faculty, staff, schools, districts, institutions of higher education, early childhood education providers, other places of educational instruction, describing approaches to reopening and operating safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) invites you to join the next webinar, Lessons from the Field: How Schools and Districts Are Meeting the Social-Emotional and Mental Health Needs of Students and Staff.
Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2021
Time: 3:00-4:15 pm EST
This informative webinar featured updates from key federal agencies and practical strategies from schools and districts engaged in supporting the social-emotional and mental health needs of students and staff as they continue to offer in-person instruction or return to full in-person instruction safely. The session first provided information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and then included a panel discussion with practitioners sharing lessons learned and best practices designed to support social-emotional and mental health needs at schools.
- Ruth Ryder: Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education
- Dr. Kathleen A. Ethier: Director, Division of Adolescent and School Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Dr. Anita Everett: Director, Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Ethan White: Data & Development Strategist, Boys and Girls Club of Malibu, CA
- Peggy Zherdev: Director of the Wellness Center + Social Support Services, Boys and Girls Club of Malibu, CA
- Jennifer Donahue: Program Administrator, School Health Programs, San Francisco Unified School District
This event will reference the following resources, which we encourage you to download in advance of the webinar to inform participation:
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools (PDF)
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students' Needs (PDF)
- CDC Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools through Phased Prevention
- CDC Association of Children’s Mode of School Instruction with Child and Parent Experiences and Well-being During the COVID-19 Pandemic—COVID Experiences Survey
- CDC Connection is Key to Good Adolescent Mental
- What Works: Safe and Supportive School Environments
- CDC Parents for Healthy Schools Resources
- SAMHSA School Mental Health Initiative
To access information and archived materials from previous Lessons from the Field webinars, go here.