Attention: State and District Leaders, School Administrators, Educators, Student Support Personnel, Parents, and Education Stakeholders
The U.S. Department of Education is hosting a webinar series to address hot topics that are on the top of educators’ minds. After sharing federal updates, the series features lessons learned and best practices from faculty, staff, schools, districts, institutions of higher education, and other places of educational instruction. It also shares a variety of useful resources.
On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) invites you to join the next Lessons from the Field webinar, Promoting Staff Wellness in the Wake of COVID-19 and Beyond.
Date: Wednesday, May 18, 2022
Time: 3:00 – 4:00 pm ET
Please join the U.S. Department of Education, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and NCSSLE as they shared how individuals, school communities and districts can support the health and wellness of school personnel. This webinar also highlighted several examples of how practitioners are approaching staff wellness in innovative ways that participants can replicate in their schools with their teams.
- Ruth Ryder, Deputy Assistant Secretary, U.S. Department of Education
- Melissa Fahrenbruch, M.Ed., Lead Health Education Specialist, CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Population Health
- Kristin Scardamalia, Ph.D., NCSSLE Technical Assistant Specialist and Assistant Professor, National Center for School Mental Health, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Greg Hickey, Mental Health Specialist, Region 15 Education Service Center, TX
- Omowale Crowder, Social-Emotional Support Specialist, Columbus City Schools, OH
- Julie May, M.Ed., Intervention Specialist, Lakewood City Schools, OH
- Azalea Tang, Social Worker, Westerville City Schools, OH
The Speaker Bios and Slides will be posted to this page on the day of the event. The recording will be posted one day after the event.
This event will reference the following resources, which we encourage you to access in advance of the webinar to inform participation:
- How to Grow Teacher Wellbeing in Your Schools (ED)
- School Employee Wellness (CDC)
- Workplace Health Promotion (CDC)
- Worksite Health Score Card | Workplace Health Promotion (CDC)
- Addressing Education Burnout and Demoralization: Actions for Administrators (NCSSLE)
- Bringing Into Focus – Systemic Support for Staff Wellbeing (NCSSLE)
- Provider Well Being (MHTTC)
- A Comprehensive School Employee Wellness Approach Can Reduce Staff Stress and Attrition (Child Trends)
- Addressing Racial Equity Can Boost Well-being Among School Staff and Students of Color (Child Trends)
- Comprehensive School Employee Wellness Initiatives Can Lower Financial Costs to Schools (Child Trends)
- Five Questions to Ask about School Staff Wellness in the Wake of COVID-19 (NASBE)
- Staff Wellness Program | State Policy Database (NASBE)
- Supporting Student Wellness Toolkit (NASBE)
- School Health Publications - National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD)
- School Employee Wellness Guide (NACDD)
- NACDD's Work@Health Program
Please contact NCSSLE if you have any questions. We look forward to sharing this information with you and hearing about the important work you are doing in your schools, communities, and states to meet the needs of students and staff.
More on the Lessons from the Field Webinar Series
To access archived materials from previous webinars and to find out what is coming next, go here.