Attention: State and District Leaders, Staff, Educators, Parents, and Education Stakeholders
The U.S. Department of Education is hosting a webinar series to support educational settings in safely sustaining or returning to in-person instruction. The series features lessons learned and best practices from faculty, staff, schools, districts, institutions of higher education, early childhood education providers, and other places of educational instruction describing approaches to operating during the COVID-19 pandemic.
On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) invites you to join the next webinar, Returning to School: Strategies for Reengaging PreK-12 Students.
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 2021
Time: 3:00 - 4:15 pm EST
This informative webinar explored information from the U.S. Department of Education and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on strategies for reconnecting with PreK—12 students returning to school this Fall. Following brief presentation by the federal agencies, field-based practitioners shared strategies they have found effective to reengage students, including special populations, through outreach and sustained connections.
- Christian Rhodes: Moderator, Chief of Staff, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education
- Supreet Anand: Deputy Director, Office of English Language Acquisition, U.S. Department of Education
- Elizabeth Coke Haller: Deputy, School Support Section, State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Support Task Force, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Jenny Scala: Co-Director, Student Engagement and Attendance Center
- Leah Keuscher: Principal, Washoe County Public Schools, NV
- Sarah Frazelle: Director, Early Warning Indicator Systems & Multi-Tiered Systems of Support, Puget Sound Education Service District, WA
This event will reference the following resources, which we encourage you to access in advance of the webinar to inform participation:
- ED’s Return to School Roadmap: A Guide For K-12 Schools and Communities for the 2021-2022 School Year
- ED’s Return to School Roadmap: How to Prioritize the Health and Safety of Students, School Personnel, and Families
- ED’s Return to School Roadmap: A Resource for Parents on Returning to In-Person Learning
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools (PDF)
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students' Needs (PDF)
- HHS’ Back to School Toolkit
- CDC’s Guidance for COVID-19 Prevention in K-12 Schools (updated 8/5/2021)
- CDC’s Considerations for Case Investigation and Contact Tracing in K-12 Schools and Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs) (updated 8/5/2021)
- Updated CDC definition for “close contact” (updated 8/5/2021)
- How Schools Can Support COVID-19 Vaccination
- Back-to-School: Helping Students Thrive
- CDC Classroom Management Resources
Please contact NCSSLE if you have any questions. We look forward to sharing this information with you and hearing from you about the important work you are doing in your schools, communities, and states to meet the needs of your students and staff as they return to in-person learning.
More on the Lessons from the Field Webinar Series
Archived Events: To access archived materials from previous Lessons from the Field webinars, go here.
Upcoming Webinars: Due to popular demand, the Lessons from the Field Webinar Series has been extended to run through September 2021. Stay tuned for additional details on upcoming webinars that will assist American educators in ensuring a safe and supportive transition back to in-person learning.