Attention: State and District Leaders, School Administrators, Educators, Student Support Personnel, Parents, and Education Stakeholders
The U.S. Department of Education is hosting a webinar series to support educational settings in safely sustaining or returning to in-person instruction. The series features lessons learned and best practices from faculty, staff, schools, districts, institutions of higher education, early childhood education providers, and other places of educational instruction describing approaches to operating during the COVID-19 pandemic.
On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) invites you to join the next webinar, Strategies for Preventing Substance Use Within Multi-Tiered System of Supports During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2021
Time: 3:00 - 4:00 pm EDT
Please join us for updates from the U.S. Department of Education, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration on recent trends in adolescent substance use and strategies for preventing substance use, including discussion on student assistance programs, as we continue to contend with the COVID-19 pandemic. A panel discussion with practitioners from the field will follow the updates.
- Ruth Ryder: Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education
- Marci Hertz: Senior Behavioral Scientist, Division of Adolescent and School Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Rob Vincent: Associate Administrator for Alcohol Prevention and Treatment Policy, Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Renee Bradley: Education Program Specialist, Office of Special Education Programs, U.S. Department of Education
- Erin Wick: Senior Director, Capital Region ESD113 (WA)
- Elizabeth Suddath: Executive Director of Prevention Services, Oklahoma State Department of Education
- Matthew Wicks: Supervisor of Athletics, P.E., Health & Drivers Ed. Office for Leading and Learning, Pasco County Schools (FL)
For your reference, slides for this presentation will be posted on this event page on the day of the event. The recording will be posted a day after.
This event will reference the following resources, which we encourage you to access in advance of the webinar to inform participation:
U.S. Department of Education Resources
- Supporting Child and Student Social, Emotional, Behavioral and Mental Health during COVID-19 Era
- Return to School Roadmap: A Guide For K-12 Schools and Communities for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Return to School Roadmap: How to Prioritize the Health and Safety of Students, School Personnel, and Families
- Return to School Roadmap: A Resource for Parents on Returning to In-Person Learning
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools (PDF)
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students' Needs (PDF)
- The Opioid Crisis and K-12 Schools: Supporting Students at School (webinar)
- Opioids, Drug-Related Emergencies, and Substance Abuse Prevention Before, During and After the COVID-19 Pandemic (webinar)
- Preparing for Opioid-Related Emergencies for K-12 Schools and Institutions of Higher Education (webinar)
- Growing Up Drug Free: A Parent’s Guide to Prevention
- Report on Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2020
- The Condition of Education 2019
- School Climate Improvement Resource Package
- ED School Climate Surveys (EDSCLS)
- Mental Health, Substance Use, and Suicidal Ideation During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- National Survey of Children’s Health Data Brief
- Estimated Proportion of Adult Health Problems Attributable to Adverse Childhood Experiences and Implications for Prevention
- Mental Health webpage
- Mental and Emotional Health Curriculum (HECAT)
- YRBSS | Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System | Data | Adolescent and School Health | CDC
- Youth High-Risk Drug Use is Linked to Risky Health Behaviors and Experiences
- High-Risk Substance Use Among Youth
- Mental Health Among Adolescents Fact Sheet
- Report to Congress on the Prevention and Reduction of Underage Drinking 2020
- Preventing Marijuana Use Among Youth
- SAMHSA Student Assistance Guide
- American Academy of Pediatrics School Health webpage
- The National Academies of Sciences’ Tools for Supporting Emotional Wellbeing in Children and Youth
More on the Lessons from the Field Webinar Series
Archived Events: To access archived materials from previous Lessons from the Field webinars, go here.
Upcoming Webinars: Due to popular demand, the Lessons from the Field Webinar Series has been extended to run through the fall of 2021. Stay tuned for additional details on upcoming webinars that will assist American educators in ensuring a safe and supportive transition back to in-person learning.