Attention: State and District Leaders, School Nutrition Staff, Parents, and Education Stakeholders
The U.S. Department of Education is hosting a webinar series to support educational settings in safely sustaining or returning to in-person instruction. The series features lessons learned and best practices from faculty, staff, schools, districts, institutions of higher education, early childhood education providers, and other places of educational instruction describing approaches to operating during the COVID-19 pandemic.
On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) invites you to join the next webinar, Supporting Student Health Through School Nutrition.
Date: Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Time: 3:00 - 3:45 pm EDT
This webinar included updates from and discussion with the U.S. Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on strategies for ensuring safety while meeting the nutritional needs of all students.
- Levi Bohanan: Special Assistant, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education
- Madeline Becker: Policy Analyst, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Tina Namian: Branch Chief, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Neha Cramer: Guidance and Technical Assistance Lead, STLT Support Task Force, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
This event referenced the following resources:
- ED’s Return to School Roadmap: A Guide For K-12 Schools and Communities for the 2021-2022 School Year
- ED’s Return to School Roadmap: How to Prioritize the Health and Safety of Students, School Personnel, and Families
- ED’s Return to School Roadmap: A Resource for Parents on Returning to In-Person Learning
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools (PDF)
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students' Needs (PDF)
- HHS’ Back to School Toolkit
- Updated CDC definition for “close contact” (updated 8/5/2021)
- Back-to-School: Helping Students Thrive
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service: SY 2021-2022 Waivers and Flexibilities
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service: Planning for a Dynamic School Environment
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service: Team Nutrition COVID-19 Resources
- Questions and Answers for Child Nutrition Program Operations in School Year 2021-2022
- Questions and Answers for Child Nutrition Program Operations in School Year 2021-2022, Q&A #2
- Previously Issued Questions and Answers Relating to Operation of the Child Nutrition Programs: Updated for School Year 2021-2022
- Community Eligibility Provision Operations during SY 2021-2022 Q&A
Please contact NCSSLE if you have any questions. We look forward to sharing this information with you and hearing from you about the important work you are doing in your schools, communities, and states to meet the needs of your students and staff as they return to in-person learning.
More on the Lessons from the Field Webinar Series
Archived Events: To access archived materials from previous Lessons from the Field webinars, go here.
Upcoming Webinars: Due to popular demand, the Lessons from the Field Webinar Series has been extended to run through October 2021. Stay tuned for additional details on upcoming webinars that will assist American educators in ensuring a safe and supportive transition back to in-person learning.