On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) hosted a presentation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and ED on new science-based resources and tools for safe in-person operation of K-12 schools.
This presentation included an overview of the CDC’s recently released Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools through Phased Mitigation and the ED’s complementary ED COVID-19 Handbook: Volume 1 Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools.
Greta Massetti, Ph.D., MPH: Dr. Massetti is the Co-Lead of the Community Interventions and Critical Populations (CICP) Task Force on CDC’s COVID-19 response. CICP is responsible for developing guidance and practical tools for community mitigation activities and attending to special populations, particularly those disproportionally affected by COVID-19. CICP is engaged in strengthening technical assistance efforts to states and communities as well as through key partners to optimize community mitigation efforts. When not engaged in the COVID response, Dr. Massetti is a branch chief and senior epidemiologist in the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control at CDC. Dr. Massetti has previously served on several of CDC’s emergency responses, including Ebola.
Donna Harris-Aikens, JD: Ms. Harris-Aikens is the Senior Advisor for Policy and Planning in the Office of the Secretary at the U.S. Department of Education. Donna Harris-Aikens served as a member of the Education Agency Review Team for the Biden-Harris Transition, and was a member of the DNC Platform Committee. She served as Senior Director for Education Policy and Practice at the National Education Association (NEA) where she advocated for students, educators, and working families to support equity and excellence in education, and to ensure working families have the right to organize and the opportunity to thrive in our global economy. Prior to joining NEA, she served in leadership roles for the Service Employees International Union and Advance CTE, and was an attorney in an education boutique law firm.
- CDC Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools through Phased Mitigation
- Operational Strategy Summary Fact Sheet (PDF)
- CDC Science Brief: Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in K-12 Schools
- ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools (PDF)
- Essential Workers Toolkit (new materials added including stickers, 508 compliant and branded FAQs, new ‘Additional Information’ FAQs for people worried about vaccination, and page translations)
- Importance of COVID-19 Vaccination for Essential Workers
- Workplace Vaccination Program (HTML version of the FAQs for employers)
- Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Ventilation
- Returning to School: Mitigation and Mental Health Strategies (Webinar: January 13, 2021)