A webinar hosted by
The U.S. Department of Education, Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, and
the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments in coordination with
the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy
This webinar addressed how Institutions of Higher Education (IHE) are providing support to students recovering from opioid, alcohol, stimulants, and other drug or substance abuse disorders, or know of someone who may be recovering, through collegiate recovery programs and similar initiatives. Collegiate recovery programs were recently highlighted in the 2019 National Drug Control Strategy.
The webinar was designed for IHE administrators, professionals in student affairs, health services, and residential life; and students interested in starting a collegiate recovery program. Examples of collegiate recovery programs currently being used on campuses of large public universities and on the campus of a community college will be highlighted.
- James Carroll, Director, White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, will provide closing remarks.
- Mick Zais, Deputy Secretary, U. S. Department of Education, will provide opening remarks.
- Arthur Kleinschmidt, Senior Advisor, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, will provide an overview of collegiate recovery programs.
- Campus representatives will discuss how they are supporting recovery on their campuses, including:
- Eric Klein, Coordinator, Collegiate Recovery Program, Northampton Community College;
- Karen Moses, Director, Wellness and Health Promotion, Arizona State University; and
- Ahmed Hosni, Director of Recovery at the Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Drug Misuse, Prevention, and Recovery, The Ohio State University.
- Richard Lucey, Prevention Program Manager, Drug Enforcement Administration, will serve as moderator.
- The Association of Recovery in Higher Education will provide a list of resources for institutions that are interested in developing and implementing collegiate recovery programs.
- National Drug Control Strategy
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance (TA) Center
- Selection of Resources on Supporting Recovery and Building Resilience on Campus via Collegiate Recovery Programs
- H.R.6 Support Act
- Ohio State Collegiate Recovery Community Meeting Format
For more information on the opioid crisis and government efforts to address it, go to Opioids.gov. Opioids.gov illustrates the magnitude of the opioid crisis and actions the Trump Administration is taking to address it.
For questions regarding the upcoming webinar, email firstname.lastname@example.org.