This webinar, hosted by the ND Prevention team of the National TEchnical Assistance Center on the Education of Neglected and Delinquent Children and Youth (NDTAC), will take a closer look at what it takes for schools and facilities to effectively partner together to help youth successfully transition from secure care to community schools. Presenters will share their experiences with successful transitions and related lessons learned. Specifically, during this webinar participants will:
- Learn about the latest research, existing policies, and practices underpinning transition services;
- Explore key features of an effective transition plan for system-involved youth from both the juvenile justice and education perspectives;
- Highlight successful school-facility transition partnerships for youth returning from secure care; and
- Discuss recommendations and effective strategies for better supporting this population.
Speakers will include the following:
- Heather Griller Clark, Principal Research Specialist, Arizona State University;
- Renée Heywood, Director of Educational Services, Massachusetts Department of Youth Services;
- Daniel Froemel, Director of Non-Traditional Educational Programs, Tennessee Department of Education;
- Tammy Pearce, Supervisor of Student Services, Johnson City Schools,Tennessee; and
- Deanne Unruh, Associate Research Professor, Special Education, University of Oregon.