Announces the release of new guidance from The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS). This new guidance helps public elementary and secondary schools fulfill their responsibilities to meet the needs of students with disabilities and avoid the discriminatory use of student discipline.
New resources include:
- Key Policy Letters Signed by the Education Secretary or Deputy Secretary
- Dear Colleague Letter on Implementation of IDEA Discipline Provisions
- Questions and Answers: Addressing the Needs of Children with Disabilities and IDEA's Discipline Provisions
- Positive, Proactive Approaches to Supporting Children with Disabilities: A Guide for Stakeholders
- Supporting Students with Disabilities and Avoiding the Discriminatory Use of Student Discipline under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Section 504 Discipline Fact Sheet