Announced the resolution of a sexual harassment investigation of the Chino Valley Unified School District in San Bernardino County, California. The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) determined that the district violated Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and its implementing regulations by failing to provide an effective response to notice of sexual harassment among members of a school athletics team in fall 2017.
The district’s commitments to resolve the investigation include:
- Contacting all former athletes from the school’s fall 2017 team and offering counseling services or reimbursement for such services received to address the effects of the district’s failure to address known sexual harassment on the team.
- Conducting a climate survey for the school’s athletics team.
- Training district and school administrators and interscholastic coaching staff about their responsibilities for responding effectively to sexual harassment.
- Conducting ongoing Title IX education for student athletes in the district’s athletics program to ensure that they know how to recognize and report sexual harassment. And,
- Reporting to OCR about the district’s training and responses to complaints of sexual harassment through the end of the 2022-2023 school year.
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. OCR is committed to ensuring nondiscrimination in schools, including with respect to sexual assault.