In 2019, the U.S. Department of Education awarded $11 million in Mental Health Service Professional Demonstration grants to 27 State education agencies and school districts. This grant program supports innovative partnerships to train and deploy school-based mental health service providers in schools. The purpose is to expand the pipeline of high-quality, trained professionals to address shortages of mental health services in high-need schools and to provide supports that encompass social and emotional learning, mental wellness, resilience, and positive connections between students and adults.
Focus of the Mental Health Service Professional Demonstration Program
Funded local educational agencies offer schools:
- social-emotional and mental wellness learning;
- effective resilience efforts in the aftermath of a crisis;
- school-based mental health services for high-need public elementary schools and secondary schools with shortages of school-based mental health service providers; and
- opportunities to place graduate students of IHEs in school-based mental health fields into schools served by the participating high-need LEAs to complete required field work, credit hours, internships, or related training as applicable for the degree, license, or credential program of each student.
Mental Health Service Professional Demonstration Grantees
Below is a list of the 27 Mental Health Service Professional Demonstration (MHSP) grantees, by State. More information on the MHSP grantees can be found on NCSSLE's State pages. Read more information about the MHSP grants, here, or access a particular State page below to learn more.
"In Session" Podcast Episodes
In Session is an education-centered podcast where we speak with changemakers working towards safe supportive learning environments within their communities. Listen to podcast episodes featuring Mental Health Service Professional grant recipients to learn more about their work:
- Developing a Graduate Mental Health Internship Program with Sophia Loubeau
- Sustaining a Behavioral Health Workforce with Dr. Michelle Warren and Christine Judson
- Implementing a Full Continuum of Social-Emotional Support with Dr. Stephanie Ellis
- Partnering Strategically and Effectively with Dr. Heather Ormiston and Greg Hickey
- Partnering with Institutes of Higher Education with Dr. Hennessey Lustica and Karen Horn
- Maintaining Successful Partnerships in Rural Communities with Joseph Wharff and Jamey Peterson