News Clips

The National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) tracks trends and developments in issues related to school climate and conditions for learning through online media sites, blogs, syndication and aggregation services, and other news resources from local, regional, and national media outlets. Browse this ongoing collection of posts to learn about what’s happening in communities near you and across the nation.

NOTE: These articles are hosted externally and may be available for only a limited time. Please contact newspapers directly to obtain archived content.

September, 2019

EdNote
September 16, 2019

Word on the street is apprenticeships create a direct pathway to in-demand jobs by providing an on-ramp for individuals to enter the workforce while learning the skills needed to enter specific... Read more »

The Boston Globe
September 16, 2019

Luke Tang was heading into the spring of freshman year at Harvard College in 2015 when he attempted to take his own life.

Edutopia
September 13, 2019

Two years after Edutopia filmed trauma-informed practices at a Nashville school, we check in with the principal to see what has changed.

The Chronicle of Higher Education
September 12, 2019

This article describe how the California State University system got professors to pay attention to its data on student outcomes with a tool meant to improve teaching.

Inside Higher Education
September 12, 2019

Colleges try to combat the sexual assaults that spike at the start of each academic year, but experts say many officials don't give students sufficient training to protect themselves or vulnerable... Read more »

The New York Times
September 10, 2019

Schools must learn that when you come from poverty, you need more than financial aid to succeed.

Campus Technology
September 10, 2019

According to a recent analysis from Civitas Learning, only 60 percent of student success initiatives have a measurable positive impact on student persistence. That leaves a full 40 percent of... Read more »

CBS News
September 09, 2019

A University of Tennessee superfan was bullied after designing his own UT shirt and wearing it to his school. Now, the university is featuring the fourth grader's logo on their official school... Read more »

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
September 09, 2019

The school switched from starting at 7:10 a.m. to 8 a.m. this year, after decades of complaints from parents, students and staff about the morning bell that rang before dawn in the winter months... Read more »

Mad in America
September 09, 2019

New research highlights differences in levels of school connectedness among students diagnosed with emotional and behavioral disorders,

CBS Local New York
September 09, 2019

Should students be allowed to take mental health days from school? Some New York State lawmakers think so and are considering a bill to make it happen.

Inside Higher Education
September 09, 2019

A new survey finds increased marijuana use and vaping by college students who view these substances as safe.

EdSurge
September 06, 2019

Amy King was the first in her family to go to college, and she experienced firsthand the challenges of being a first-generation undergraduate. But when she got to graduate school, she found the... Read more »

CBS News
September 05, 2019

On America's college campuses, there are epidemics we talk about and those we don't. There's sexual assault. There are fraternity hazing deaths.

EdSource
September 05, 2019

Researchers have found that when teachers’ professional learning is grounded in structured collaboration and allows time to engage in inquiry, it can both improve teaching and retention.

EdSurge
September 05, 2019

The email arrived like a punch in the gut. You have exhausted your Pell Grant funds. In order to take this class, you will need to pay out of pocket.

Journal Sentinel
September 03, 2019

Research shows such training helps lower rates of victimization on college campuses, but it often doesn't cover every area university officials want to address with students. And some experts... Read more »

Community College Daily
September 03, 2019

The increase that the college is seeing speaks to a staggering national trend.

Casper Star Tribune
September 03, 2019

In an effort to better understand how Wyoming’s 48 school districts are protecting their students, the state Department of Education is sending a survey to administrators across the Equality State... Read more »

Campus Drug Prevention
September 02, 2019

As college landscapes change, student behavior seems to remain a constant. Sure, they find new techniques and new, creative ways to commit violations, but generally speaking, it’s all the same.... Read more »

Pages