On February 25, 2021, from 1:00 to 2:30 pm EST the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Indoor Environments Division hosted an Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Tools for Schools webinar. Learn how to mitigate the risk of virus exposure and ensure healthy air in schools.
This webinar discussed how to—
- Create a game plan to help mitigate risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2 in the near term and prioritize the top 5 IAQ improvements to ensure healthy air in schools in the long term.
- Assess your current air handling capabilities (e.g., effectiveness of filtration, ability to bring in fresh air, and energy efficiency) and create a plan to improve air quality using a free online risk assessment.
- Equip staff to implement risk reduction strategies and follow technical guidance from the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) to reduce exposure to viruses in schools.
- Replicate best practices from a recent case study of how D.C. Public Schools—a large, urban district with an older building stock—used federal funds to improve the ventilation, filtration and system monitoring throughout the district.
Speakers featured in this webinar will include:
- Tracy Washington Enger, Facilitator, Indoor Environments Division, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Raj Setty, P.E., LEED AP, President of Setty, Member of the ASHRAE Schools Technical Task Force
- Chris Ruch, Director of Training, National Energy Management Institute
- Brian Butler, Executive Program Manager, District of Columbia Department of General Services
EPA offers free IAQ Tools for Schools resources—including the School IAQ Assessment Mobile App—to help schools maintain a healthy indoor environment by identifying, correcting and preventing IAQ problems. Learn more about the IAQ Tools for Schools guidance and access other valuable school environmental health resources at www.epa.gov/iaq-schools.
If you have any questions about the IAQ Tools for Schools guidance, please contact the IAQ Tools for Schools Connector Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.