Since 2020, the U.S. Department of Education has conducted a webinar series to address the growing response of America’s schools to child trafficking. The series draws attention to the important efforts underway in our nation’s education community to address both sex and labor trafficking.
On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) invites you to join the next webinar in this series, Reducing Student Vulnerability in the Face of Community Risk Factors.
Date: Thursday, April 21, 2022
Time: 3:00 – 4:15 pm EDT
This webinar is focused on how chronic community risk factors such as poverty, violence, and lack of stable safe housing are exacerbated by acute risk factors such as pandemics, influx of new or inexpensive drugs, or natural disasters and how this interplay between chronic and acute risk factors may increase student vulnerability to human trafficking. You will leave this webinar with concrete actions you can take to reduce student vulnerability to human trafficking by building protective factors against community risk factors.
- Ruth Ryder, Assistant Deputy Secretary, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education;
- Brittany Derrow, Survivor Expert, Youthworks (ND);
- Dr. Dominique Roe-Sepowitz, Associate Professor, Director, Office of Sex Trafficking Intervention Research (AZ);
- Officer Mike Bolme, City of Bismarck Police (ND);
- Keri Cerio, Director of Capacity Building, Every Student, Every Day, Office of Community Schools (NY); and
- Nathan Earl, Human Trafficking Public Health Consultant, Principal, Giant Slayer Consulting (FL).
- Human Trafficking in America's Schools (guide)
- Addressing the Growing Problem of Domestic Sex Trafficking in Minors through Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (brief)
- Human Trafficking in America’s Schools Staff Development Series (videos and training collateral)
- SOAR for School-Based Professionals
- Emerging Issues Webinar Series: Protective Factors for Children Part 1 and Part 2
- Report: Adverse Childhood Experiences and Social Determinants of At-Risk Populations: A Literature Review
- Toolkit: Human Trafficking Community Readiness Guide
For more information and resources, visit the following webpages dedicated to human trafficking: ED’s Human Trafficking webpage; the U.S. Department of State’s Human Trafficking webpage; and the Administration for Children and Families’ Office of Trafficking Persons’ webpage.
To view previous webinars in this series, go here. To offer questions for consideration by the speakers on this webinar, email them to email@example.com with “Webinar Question” in the subject line.