Attention: School Administrators and Educators, Title IX Coordinators, Student Support Personnel, Student Advocates, Parents, and Other Education Stakeholders
The U.S. Department of Education is hosting a webinar series to address hot topics that are on the top of educators’ minds. After sharing federal updates, the series features lessons learned and best practices from faculty, staff, schools, districts, and other places of educational instruction. It also shares a variety of useful resources. On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) invites you to join the next Lessons from the Field webinar, Partners in Prevention: Engaging the Secondary School Community to Prevent Gender-Based Violence.
Wednesday, November 16, 2022
3:00 – 4:15 pm ET
Please join the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights to learn practical, ready-to-use strategies for preventing sexual violence and other gender-based violence in the secondary school setting. This webinar featured a roundtable of educators, prevention experts, and other officials describing actual practices, strategies, and lessons learned in their efforts to support prevention and reduce the incidence of gender-based violence in middle schools and high schools.
- Nicole Borghard, Leadership and History Teacher, West Potomac High School
- Dr. Sarah DeGue, Senior Scientist, Research and Evaluation Branch, Division of Violence Prevention, CDC
- Dr. Bernadine Futrell, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Equity and Discretionary Grants and Support Services, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Suzanne Goldberg, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Strategic Operations and Outreach, Office for Civil Rights
- Rosie Hidalgo, Senior Advisor on Gender-Based Violence and Special Assistant to the President, Gender Policy Council, The White House
- Dr. Sydney McKinney, Executive Director, National Black Women’s Justice Institute
- Danielle Tuft, Interpersonal and Sexual Violence Prevention Unit Manager, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
- Stacy Vaughan, Vice President of Programs, Monique Burr Foundation
- Jennifer Wagner, At-Risk Interventionist, Cedar Rapids Kennedy High School
- CDC’s Technical Packages for Violence Prevention
- Stop SV: A Technical Package to Prevent Sexual Violence
- Preventing Intimate Partner Violence Across the Lifespan: A Technical Package of Programs, Policies, and Practices
- CDC’s Dating Matters
- Learn More about Dating Matters
Organizations and district participation in this webinar is for the purpose of sharing information and activities at these schools that may be useful to webinar participants. Please note that the Department is not endorsing the information and activities shared by participants, and that an institution’s participation is unrelated to any of OCR’s current or future enforcement of federal civil rights laws.
Please contact NCSSLE if you have any questions. We look forward to sharing this information with you and hearing about the important work you are doing in your schools, communities, and states to meet the needs of students and staff.
More on the Lessons from the Field Webinar Series
To access archived materials from previous webinars and to find out what is coming next, go here.