Measuring school climate is critical for improving school climate because high quality school climate data allow you to understand the perceptions of the students, staff, and parents in your school or district; monitor progress; make data-driven decisions; involve stakeholders; and adapt to shifting needs related to school climate.
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) is dedicated to helping keep students safe and improving their learning environments. In particular, ED developed the high-quality, adaptable ED School Climate Surveys (EDSCLS) and associated web-based platform. The EDSCLS allows States, local districts, and schools to collect and act on reliable, nationally-validated school climate data in real-time. The EDSCLS builds on federal initiatives and research, which recommended that the Department work on the issue of school climate.
- The EDSCLS web-based administration platform includes a suite of school climate surveys for middle and high school students, instructional staff, non-instructional staff, and parents/guardians. Student and parent surveys can be completed either in English or Spanish. Staff surveys are available in English only.
- The EDSCLS can be downloaded and administered free of charge.
- The platform processes data and provides user-friendly reports in real-time.
- Education agencies administering the survey can store the data locally on their own data systems. The U.S. Department of Education will not have access to the data.
For more information on the EDSCLS, click on the links below or use the blue navigation box on the top right-hand column of this webpage.
- Measures: information on how the EDSCLS surveys are structured, by school climate domains and topic areas, and results from the EDSCLS pilot test
- Administration: materials needed to administer the EDSCLS and information on platform updates
- Data Reports: information on the school climate scale scores and item level data produced by the platform
- Data Interpretation: an archived webinar that provides training on interpreting EDSCLS data and related materials from NCSSLE's School Climate Improvement Resource Package
- Benchmark Performance Levels: learn more about the benchmark scores available in the platform for making comparisons.
Learn More About the EDSCLS Through the Following Blog Posts!
Feel free to call the EDSCLS Help Desk at 866-730-6735 between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time or email EDSCLS@air.org any time for assistance in:
- navigating the installation instructions in the User Guide,
- clarifying the EDSCLS Frequently Asked Questions,
- using the survey administrator dashboard before, during, or after your survey administration, and
- asking general survey administration support questions.
We have staff standing by.